Our Immigration practice is unique. We recognize that you or your loved one’s ability to immigrate is not only important, but a completely life changing opportunity. We at Shepard, Connors & Titus not only want you to be able to see that opportunity through to fruition, but we want you to flourish spectacularly afterwords so that you can help others and improve the world.

Shepard, Connors & Titus strives to deliver personalized services at more economical costs to families, individuals & businesses needing guidance and solutions in the immigration process. Rather than simply giving you more pieces of paper to fill out, we want to talk to you and learn more about your situation so that we can provide custom tailored solutions. You, your family, and your situation deserve more than just a stack of papers. We want to help you through the process in any way possible. Some of the more common requests for immigration assistance include:

  • Family Based Petitions,

  • Employment Based Non-Immigrant Petitions,

  • Employment Based Immigrant Visas,

  • Applications for Naturalization and Citizenship,

  • Corporate Policy and Compliance Support,

  • Student Visas,

  • Non-immigrant Fiance Visa’s, &

  • Adjustment of Status

At Shepard, Connors & Titus the initial consultation we provide is always free. If you have taken the time to seek us out, we believe in providing you value in any way that we can, regardless of whether you end up hiring us for additional services. Feel free to call us at (913)444-9022 or by clicking the button to request a free consultation when you are ready.

In the meantime, some additional basic information is below and more in-depth information is on the linked pages by topic. You can also view our blog and resources pages for additional information on topics that are of specific interest or importance to you.

NON-IMMIGRANT FIANCE VISA, or a “K-1,” is for the foreign-citizen fiance of a United States Citizen. The K-1 Visa permits the foreign-citizen fiance to travel to the United States to marry his or her sponsor within 90 days of arrival. Once married, the foreign-citizen can then apply for an adjustment of status to a permanent resident. Because the process anticipates adjustment of status to a Lawful Permanent Resident, the fiance must meet some of the requirements of an immigrant visa. Eligible children of K-1 visa applicants can also enter the United States on K-2 visas.

WORK VISAS are granted by USCIS on a temporary basis. They are intended for individuals wanting to enter or remain in the United States for employment that is contracted for a specific period of time. USCIS requires a petition from the prospective Sponsoring Employer before a Work Visa application can be granted to the individual. The Sponsoring Employer must provide information regarding the company and it’s demographics in addition to information on the individual’s work experience and skill set demonstrating qualification for the position.

FAMILY VISAS are an option when the individual desiring entry into the United States has a qualifying relative in the country who is an American Citizen or Legal Permanent Resident of the United States. Family Visas typically fall into one of two types. An Unlimited Immediate Family Immigrant Visa (IR-1 through IR-5) is immediately available to the beneficiary and is not subject to numerical limitations. A Limited Family Preference Immigrant Visa (F1 through F4) is not immediately available and is subject to numerical limitations. The relationship between the Petitioning Relative in the United States and the individual impacts eligibility. Unlimited Immediate Family Immigrant Visas are typically not available for brothers and sisters or more distant familial relatives of the petitioning American Citizen or Legal Permanent Resident, but such individuals are potentially eligible for Limited Family Preference Immigrant Visas.

BUSINESS VISAS, sometimes referred to as “Start-Up” Visas (even though as of this writing there is no such official term with USCIS), are primarily for entrepreneurs or other individuals desiring to engage in a Lawful Business Venture or Practice in the United States. There are several primary types of Business Visas or “Start Up” Visas with eligibility depending primarily upon the position of the individual relative to the Lawful Business Venture or Practice in the United States. However, eligibility almost always require that the applicant is vital to the start up, organization, or growth of the business and in most instances requires a Petitioning Employer sponsor. There are also several related Visa types worth listing here for reference, but for which the eligibility for the Visa is not based on the contributions of the prospective Visa holder.

  • E-2 Visas for Investors.

  • H-1B Visas for Specialty Occupations.

  • L-1 Visas for Intra-Company Transfers.

  • O-1, O-2, & O-3 Visas for Extraordinary Abilities.

  • B-1 Visas for Business Visitors.

STUDENT VISAS must be obtained in order to enroll in a course of study, degree program, or academic certificate, with the exception of short periods of “recreational study” which can be done on a Visitor Visa. Depending on the type of institution, either an F or an M Student Visa may be appropriate. New Student Visas can be issued up to 120 days prior to the start date for a course of study, however, the student should not enter the United States on the Student Visa more than 30 days before the start date. Continuing Student Visas may be issued at any time, as long as the student is currently enrolled, and the continuing student is allowed to enter the United States at any time before classes start. For prospective students under the age of 13 or over the age of 80, an interview with USCIS is not typically required prior to the approval of the Student Visa. For new students between the ages of 14 and 79, an interview is required. For continuing students seeking a renewal, an interview may or may not be required.

TOURIST VISAS, or “Visitor Visas,” are non-immigrant visas for individuals who wish enter the United States temporarily for the purpose of tourism, a short business visit, visiting family or friends, medical treatment, or for a combination of purposes other than those purposes which must be covered by other visa types.

  • B-1 Visas for Business Visitors.

  • B-2 Visas for Tourist Visitors.